Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bread Wine & Blue (Rosé)

Time is the best advisor” – Pericles

This evening’s light summer pasta is nicely paired with the fruitilicious, deep rose hued Paradisos del Sol Winery’s 2004 Rosé Paradiso that I opened yesterday. This is an easy, easy wine to drink and soooooo beautiful to look at. Roses and Rosé are good for the spirit.

It’s sunny and warm, a bikini day the mid 80s, and for some reason an uninvited shade of blue has darkened my doorstep all day. In spite of that I got the dog walked at the beach before it got too hot for her or too crowded for me and I continue this day with a smile in spite of some disappointments. Time. Will. Tell. The only funk I want to get down with is on the dance floor (RIP Michael Jackson, and I raise my glass to your your music and moves).

Uncle John’s Original Bread Book arrived in my home yesterday. A book full of Old World artesian recipes that emigrated to America during a master baker’s journey from Germany. Copyright 1961, 1965 in good condition with a subtle hint of a comforting used-book smell that whispers nostalgia of kitchens past. The paper and binding feel happy to hold – is it the lingering energy of over 40 years of cooks and bakers? If you’re as excited about this book as I am you can buy your own via the Amazon.com widget on the right.

This 4th of July weekend kicks off my exploration of Grüner Veltliners – scrumpdillyicious wines from Austria made with white-wine grapes of the same name. I am SOOOOOO looking forward to the journey of these Gru-Vee wines partly because wines that aren’t popular in America excite me and partly because groovy is such a cool word. If you wanna get your groove on, come see me on the 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment